Skip to main content

The LAST Chapter of Psalms

I went to a private elementary school, where every year we had reciting competitions and spelling bees for ACSI.  (Associated Christian School International).  So to practice we had competitions within school to practice and see who would be selected to go to the ACSI event.  I was so shy when I was a kid. I was the kid that stood and clung by the T.A.s and close friends.   I didn't have social skills, nor did I like standing on stage to recite poetry, Bible verses, or spell words.  But since I was a good student, I was always selected to try.  And, I think my teachers wanted to encourage me to break out of my shell of quietness.  Of course my shyness took over, so I never got chosen to go to ACSI.  (whew).  But I remember really  admiring the materiel that was given to memorize  

I was asked to participate in the poetry reciting competition at school.  We could choose a long traditional ode from famous American Poets or Bible Verses.  When your a kid, they seem listless awfully long.  I remember I tried to choose the shortest possible.  It was a bible verse from Psalms.  Being that it was so short, it was also extremely difficult to remember because of the words and prose.  (I guess the pairs and how it is versed.)  Honestly, I barely remember the day that I recited the poem.  I remember borrowing my best friends dress bc I didn't fit anything I had, and I remember her trying to encourage me while we were in the restroom changing.  I remember barely making it through.  But I did.  

For many years, I completely forgot what I had memorized.  I even forgot the reference.  In college as a small group leader I wanted to share that moment about purpose, reason, confidence, and self-esteem.  I tried to jog my memory, but I couldn't, frustrated and anxious, I read the entire book of Psalms in order to find it.  

This past week at church I heard it again, and was reminded of the reference.  May this LAST CHAPTER OF PSALMS bring you joy.  Lesson learned, just check the first chapter and last chapter first.  j/k.  It was a blessing to read through all of Psalms.  When we seek to praise him He is blessed by our hearts desire to be aware of Him.  

May this verse help you give praise to the Lord in this holiday season filled with Spirit.  May we walk in to Advant with a fullness of praise  memories of His goodness and faithfulness.   May our shield of faith shine with praise and joy in songs and thanksgiving as we celebrate his birth.  

Psalms 150

Praise the Lord.
Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.
Praise him for his acts of power; 
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
Praise him with the sounding of the trumpets,
praise him with the harp and lyre.
praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute, 
praise him with the clash of cymbals, 
praise him with resounding cymbals.  
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.  
Praise the Lord.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inside Out

He is working in us on a daily basis, even when we are not in tip top shape.  This was Paul's hope, prayer, and encouragement to the leaders, forerunners, and churches:   Therefore do not loose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, though inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. -2 Corinthians 4:16-17 (NIV) He continually works from the inside out. May our mind be set towards kingdom thinking; may this be our prayer this week. Let our prayers humble us as we continue to serve our churches, communities, work place, friends, family, PEOPLE that dwell with us.  He truly gives when we are opened to receiving.

SEALS 2017 Morning Meditation - Listening Prayer thru Art

Matthew Geppert from Southeast Asian Prayer Center (SEACP) challenged conferees to take a moment to reflect and listen regarding our Identity.  The   continual  encouragement was to  remember  and minister to ourselves this message.   And  when we are struggling most to  remember it and profess it outwardly during those hardships. We repeated in response: “I AM WHO I AM  MADE BY THE I AM WHO  SAYS WHO I AM.” This morning create a time and space for listening prayer.   Perhaps the Lord may offer an adjective to describe the season, provide an affirmation, a new name, a vision, or an image.   After listening, perhaps draw, sketch, paint, or color the provided word.   It can become a process that will reveal a lesson, bring healing, and/or bring clarity. Creative methods and strategies with new tools may have its struggles and uncover an emotional or spiritual ep...

Giving with Delight

To the God we serve and delight in... On a daily basis we constantly struggle with the perspective of what it means to forgive and give/serve others.  I realized that when we are actively serving those around us, old friends, new friends, family members, co-workers, ministry partners, volunteers, interns, students, your pastor, the barista that rung up your coffee this morning etc...we tend to live in the illusions of self by bring our baggage from the past.   Some examples:  -I'm experiencing a bad morning, so I don't have to smile as I leave the barista that just rung up my morning cup of coffee.   -I was stuck in traffic this morning and wasn't in the mood, so I didn't  feel like opening the door for the intern with the big pile of papers/books in hand on the way into work. -I haven't heard back from my old high school friend for like 10 years, and they just called in for a favor, why bother responding. -I did not appreciate how my grandparents...